Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Underwater Welding



My good friend Mike has never been able to hold a job for long. Although he is an interesting and intelligent guy, he's a little bit flighty. He gets bored of something almost as soon as he starts it, and as a result he has switched jobs a number of times. He has good intentions, but the follow-through is not there.

That is why when he first told me that he had an underwater welding job, I was little bit skeptical. Jobs in underwater welding are very difficult and very dangerous, and I didn't think he would stick with it for very long. The pay was excellent everyone knew that but the work involved long hours and high risks. It seemed like the kind of thing he would try a brief adventure in and get sick of.

When six months later he was still an underwater welder, however, I became curious about it. I asked a little bit about the underwater welding, and found a wealth of information. Apparently, it is a fascinating job. It combines all the adventures of diving with the technically complex duties of a welder. Underwater welding does have its risks, but it pays extremely well. Best of all, you get to work on some fascinating construction projects. They call you in to maintain bridges, dams, and other underwater structures. Working on such mammoth constructions must be pretty interesting, and I bet it really gives you a sense of accomplishment.

I was so impressed by his tales of underwater welding that I started to think about getting into it myself. I have always been interested in the maritime trades, and being an underwater welder seems like a great way to get involved. Underwater welders are called upon to fix ships as well as more permanent structures, so is a great way to get involved in boat work. I haven't started it yet, but I really am thinking about it.

I have started taking a diving course. I figured that I could get involved in underwater welding if I liked it. So far, the diving course is pretty fun. It is harder work than I had imagined. It can really hurt to dive to low depths, and it can be disorienting when you first start it. Nonetheless, it looks like it will be a great bit of fun to get my commercial diving certificate. After that, who knows. Underwater welding is certainly something I would consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment