Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2016

How I Search My Computer



You can search for anything that you want through the Internet with a search engine, and you are going to find most of the things that you seek. There is so much information out there that you could never find things on your own, and you could never hope to find all that would be of interest to you. That is what makes searches great. They bring up the best at the top and most of it is what you were looking for. However, what happens when you cant find something on your own computer? How I search my computer may help you search yours.

Probably the most common way I search my computer is to just go through files. This only works well when you have a pretty good idea of where something might be located. If you have no idea where it might be, this idea is no good. I know when I search my computer for something I wrote, for example, I always save it in the very same place. It might take me a few minutes to search the various folders, but it works. However, this is the only time when that is the best way to go about searching your computer for files.

When I download something from the Internet or from an email, I often find that I have to search my computer later to find it. At times you can specify where you want something saved, but that is not always the case. When I have no idea where it could be, I go back and try to download it again. When the box pops up, I can see where it went the time before. I can then cancel and go back and get it. This works well if you have no idea what the file name was and no idea where you put it. I search my computer this way once in a while, but it still this is also not the best way.

You are going to see a feature on almost all Windows operating systems that comes up when you click the start button. This feature should be find. This does exactly what you hope it would do. I search my computer this way a lot. It only works when you know the file name, or at least part of the file name. Before, this would only search for programs, but newer versions now search all types of files. I can search my computer entirely for something, or just in one specific place where I think something might be. When I lose a document, this is one of the best way to find it, even if it is a temporary file.

You also have the option of using the Google Desktop program. I have used this to search my computer once and it worked very well. It was a bit slow, but when you cant find something, this is the way to go. It might take it some time, but when you have to have that file, it is time well spent. Depending on the speed of your computer, it can run in the background, which is even better. This tool is probably going to get better and better, so I will probably use it to search my computer in the future. There are probably going to be other programs just like it popping up, so look around online to see what would work for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment